05/15/2003Source: François Xavier Bagnoud Center at Rutgers University College of Nursing and AETC National Resource Center
Presenters: Carolyn K. Burr, EdD, RN; Elaine Gross, RN, MS, CNS-C; Netta Boudreaux, RN, BSN, ACRN; Ben T. Nash, MD and Connie Thompson, RN, BSN, ACRN
The curriculum "HIV and Pregnancy: Managing Mother and Baby" was developed by the National Pediatric and Family HIV Resource Center and has been used in collaboration with five AIDS Education and Training Centers to educate over 800 healthcare providers about HIV counseling and testing of women in pregnancy, management of the pregnant woman with HIV, and strategies to reduce perinatal HIV transmission. These slides and audio are from an interactive phone-based training conducted in May 2003.
The Training Exchange provides an overview of the curriculum and a discussion of lessons learned in using a training-of-trainers model with clinicians as the faculty trainers.
After participating in the Training Exchange, the participant will be able to:
- Describe a training-of-trainers model that uses clinicians as faculty trainers
- Identify stakeholders in the maternal child health and HIV communities that are essential in supporting training about HIV and pregnancy
- Recognize the importance of support from HIV educators for clinicians in their faculty trainer roles
- Identify areas of controversy and possible responses that may arise during training about pregnancy, HIV, and reduction of perinatal transmission
- Discuss how case studies can be utilized for training about pregnancy, HIV, and reduction of perinatal HIV transmission
- Discuss the role of a standardized curriculum and clinician support materials in a training-of-trainers model
The download information has been organized into 4 sections. Since this training exchange is to help trainers to offer a TOT, we have included 2 slide sets. Section II is the slide set that will be used for this training.
Section I -- Curriculum
This section is in a PDF file and contains information used when presenting a TOT (Train-the-Trainer), including the cover page, table of contents, agenda, curriculum and reference list. The latest USPHS Perinatal Guidelines can be found at www.aidsinfo.nih.gov, and the reprinted references have not been included.
Section II -- Training Exchange Slide Set
This slide set is a combination of the training exchange information and the TOT slides. Please note that the slides with the purple background were created for this presentation. The slides with the blue background are from the original TOT slide set.
Section III -- TOT Slide Set
This slide set has been included for your convenience. When you are ready to do a training, you can print your handout materials quickly and easily!
About the Presenters
- Carolyn K. Burr, EdD, RNAssociate Director, National Pediatric HIV Resource Center, FXB Center, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
- Elaine Gross, RN, MS, CNS-CNurse Educator, National Pediatric HIV Resource Center, FXB Center, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
- Netta Boudreaux, RN, BSN, ACRNCase Manager, Patient Educator for Pregnant Women with HIV Infection, University of Mississippi Medical Center
- Ben T. Nash, MDPediatric Infectious Diseases, University of Mississippi Medical Center
- Connie Thompson, RN, BSN, ACRNCase Manager/Clinical Trainer, Delta Region, AIDS Education and Training Center, University of Mississippi Medical Center