Journal Articles by AETC-Affiliated Researchers and Faculty--2016
December 5, 2016
It's been a busy year for the AETC community, and we are proud to present the following compilation of published studies produced by members of our network during the 2016 calendar year. Also included is the HRSA/HAB Workforce Survey results published in the AAHIVM HIV Specialist. AETC-affiliated authors are highlighted.
If you know of any publications we may have missed, let us know by emailing us or providing information in the Comments section below.
Health Care Provider Workforce Development
- Boehler M, Schechtman B, Rivero R, Jacob BA, Sherer R, Wagner C, Alabduljabbar SA, Linsk NL. Developing the HIV Workforce: The MATEC Clinician Scholars Program. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care. 2016 May-Jun;27(3):246-60.
- Bouchery E, Gilman B, Trent-Adams S, Cheever L. Characteristics of the Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program Provider Network: implications for access to care under the Affordable Care Act. HIV Specialist. August 2016; p. 10.
- Farley JE, Stewart J, Kub J, Cumpsty-Fowler C, Lowensen K, Becker K. Development of the Johns Hopkins University School of Nursing Adult/Geriatric Primary Care Nurse Practitioner Program in HIV prevention, treatment, and care. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care. 2016 May-Jun;27(3):223-33. (PMID: 26852319)
- Farley JE, Treston C. Nurses' call to action: supporting a strong global HIV nursing workforce. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care. 2016 Nov - Dec;27(6):741-744. (PMID: 27720061)
- Gilman B, Bouchery E, Hogan P, Negrusa S, Trent-Adams S, Cheever L. The HIV clinician workforce in the United States: supply and demand projections from 2010 to 2015. HIV Specialist. August 2016; p. 2.
- Goldschmidt RH, Chu C. Primary care for patients with HIV infection: it's not who should provide it, it’s how to provide it. Am Fam Physician. 2016 Nov 1;94(9):687-688.
- Goldschmidt RH, Chu C, Dong BJ. Initial management of patients with HIV infection. Am Fam Physician. 2016 Nov 1;94(9):708-716.
- Voss JG, Harmon JL. Working toward 21(st) century interprofessional workforce training and leadership in HIV care. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care. 2016 May-Jun;27(3):199-202. (PMID: 27086185)
- Khamarko K, Kang Dufour MS, Bodach S, Myers JJ. Impact of AIDS education and training centers on the US HIV medical workforce. Am J Public Health. 2016 Dec;106(12):2190-2193. (PMID: 27736204)
- Kurth AE, Jacob S, Squires AP, Sliney A, Davis S, Stalls S, Portillo CJ. Investing in nurses is a prerequisite for ensuring universal health coverage. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care. 2016 May-Jun;27(3):344-54. doi: 10.1016/j.jana.2016.02.016. (PMID: 27086193)
- McGee KS, Relf M, Harmon JL. The development of an HIV training program for nurse practitioners. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care. 2016 May-Jun;27(3):240-5. (PMID: 26733214)
- Portillo CJ, Stringari-Murray S, Fox CB, Monasterio E, Dawson Rose C. The HIV primary care workforce of tomorrow: the UCSF Integrated HIV/AIDS Primary Care Capacity Nurse Practitioner Program. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care. 2016 May-Jun;27(3):214-22. (PMID: 27086186)
- Relf MV, Harmon JL. Entry-level competencies required of primary care nurse practitioners providing HIV specialty care: a national practice validation study. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care. 2016 May-Jun;27(3):203-13. (PMID: 26803386)
- Spach DH, Wood BR, Karpenko A, Unruh KT, Kinney RG, Roscoe C, Nelson J. Creating a national HIV curriculum. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care. 2016 May-Jun;27(3):261-73. (PMID: 27086188)
- Willard S. The HIV workforce: a conversation. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care. 2016 May-Jun;27(3):362-6. (PMID: 26907975)
- Willard S, Nelson J, Reyes D, Linn A. Advancing HIV nursing practice: The Doctor of Nursing Practice HIV Specialty at Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey. J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care. 2016 May-Jun;27(3):234-9. (PMID: 27086187)
Comorbidities among PLWH
- Castilho JL, Shepherd BE, Koethe J, Turner M, Bebawy S, Logan J, Rogers WB, Raffanti S, Sterling TR. CD4+/CD8+ ratio, age, and risk of serious noncommunicable diseases in HIV-infected adults on antiretroviral therapy. AIDS. 2016 Mar 27;30(6):899-908. (PMID: 26959354; PMCID: PMC4785819)
- Kelly AM, Smith B, Luo Z, Given B, Wehrwein T, Master I, Farley JE. Discordance between patient and clinician reports of adverse reactions to MDR-TB treatment. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2016 Apr;20(4):442-7. (PMID: 26970151; PMCID: PMC4830122)
- Murphy J, Mark H, Anderson J, Farley J, Allen J. A randomized trial of human papillomavirus self-sampling as an intervention to promote cervical cancer screening among women with HIV. J Low Genit Tract Dis. 2016 Apr;20(2):139-44. (PMID: 27015260; PMCID: PMC4808515)
- Tudor C, Van der Walt ML, Margot B, Dorman SE, Pan WK, Yenokyan G, Farley JE. Occupational risk factors for tuberculosis among healthcare workers in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Clin Infect Dis. 2016 May 15;62 Suppl 3:S255-61. (PMID: 27118855; PMCID: PMC4845891)
Sexual Risk and Stigma
- Sullivan KM, Dawson Rose C, Phillips JC, Holzemer WL, Webel AR, Nicholas P, Corless IB, Kirksey K, Sanzero Eller L, Voss J, Tyer-Viola L, Portillo C, Johnson MO, Brion J, Sefcik E, Nokes K, Reid P, Rivero-Mendez M, Chen WT. Sexual transmission-risk behaviour among HIV-positive persons: a multisite study using social action theory. J Adv Nurs. 2016 Aug 3. doi: 10.1111/jan.13087. [Epub ahead of print] (PMID: 27485796)
- Wainberg ML, Cournos F, Wall MM, Norcini Pala A, Mann CG, Pinto D, Pinho V, McKinnon K. Mental illness sexual stigma: Implications for health and recovery. Psychiatr Rehabil J. 2016 Jun;39(2):90-6. (PMID: 27030909; PMCID: PMC4900913)
Social Determinants and Other Influences on the Health of PLWH
- Berry SA, Fleishman JA, Yehia BR, Cheever LW, Hauck H, Korthuis PT, Mathews WC, Keruly J, Nijhawan AE, Agwu AL, Somboonwit C, Moore RD, Gebo KA; HIV Research Network. Healthcare coverage for HIV provider visits before and after implementation of the Affordable Care Act. Clin Infect Dis. 2016 Aug 1;63(3):387-95. (PMID: 27143660; PMCID: PMC4946016)
- Golin CE, Knight K, Carda-Auten J, Gould M, Groves J, L White B, Bradley-Bull S, Amola K, Fray N, Rosen DL, Mugavaro MJ, Pence BW, Flynn PM, Wohl D. Individuals motivated to participate in adherence, care and treatment (imPACT): development of a multi-component intervention to help HIV-infected recently incarcerated individuals link and adhere to HIV care. BMC Public Health. 2016 Sep 6;16:935. (PMID: 27596559; PMCID: PMC5011897)
- Mogobe KD, Shaibu S, Matshediso E, Sabone M, Ntsayagae E, Nicholas PK, Portillo CJ, Corless IB, Rose CD, Johnson MO, Webel A, Cuca Y, Rivero-Méndez M, Solís Báez SS, Nokes K, Reyes D, Kemppainen J, Reid P, Sanzero Eller L, Lindgren T, Holzemer WL, Wantland D. Language and culture in health literacy for people living with HIV: perspectives of health care providers and professional care team members. AIDS Res Treat. 2016;2016:5015707. doi: 10.1155/2016/5015707. (PMID: 27340564; PMCID: PMC4909894)
- Nelson JA, Kinder A, Johnson AS, Hall HI, Hu X, Sweet D, Guido A, Katner H, Janelle J, Gonzalez M, Paz NM, Ledonne C, Henry J, Bramel T, Harris J. Differences in selected HIV care continuum outcomes among people residing in rural, urban, and metropolitan areas -- 28 United States jurisdictions. J Rural Health. 2016 Sep 13. doi: 10.1111/jrh.12208. (PMID: 27620836)
- Sacamano PL, Farley JE. Behavioral and other characteristics associated with HIV viral load in an outpatient clinic. PLoS One. 2016 Nov 2;11(11):e0166016. (PMID: 27806109; PMCID: PMC5091742)
John A. Nelson, PhD, CNS, CPNP is the Program Director of the AIDS Education and Training Center (AETC) National Coordinating Resource Center (NCRC) as well as an instructor for the AETC Graduate Health Profession HIV Training program at the Rutgers School of Nursing.
John has a BA from Washington University in St. Louis, an MSN (pediatric clinical nurse specialist) from Yale University, a post-master's pediatric nurse practitioner (PNP) certification from Columbia University, and a PhD in Nursing from New York University.
John began providing care to HIV-infected adolescents in 1989 at Montefiore Medical Center after completing his MSN. After 24 years of providing direct care to HIV-infected and HIV at-risk adolescents and young adults in hospital-based, school-based, and community-based settings in New York, John began his work at the François-Xavier Bagnoud Center, Rutgers School of Nursing in his current role.
John has published journal articles on issues including LGBT adolescents, HIV and adolescents, sexually transmitted infections, cervical dysplasia in adolescent women, and anal dysplasia in YMSM.
As Program Director of the AETC NCRC, John is responsible for the continued growth and development of the AETC NCRC.