This three-part series explores innovative approaches to delivering oral health care and services to people with HIV/AIDS, featuring grantees of the Health Resources and Services Administration’s Special Projects of National Significance (SPNS) Innovations in Oral Health Care Initiative (Oral Health Initiative).
Healthy Mouth, Healthy Body
This webinar provides an overview of common oral health barriers for people with HIV/AIDS (PLWHA) and the importance of overcoming these barriers. It will also share some of the ways HRSA has helped link PLWHA to oral health care, including the SPNS Oral Health Initiative. Featured presenters include:
- Dr. Mahyar Mofidi; Branch Chief of the Division of Community HIV/AIDS Programs and Chief Dental Officer of the HRSA HIV/AIDS Bureau
- Jane Fox, MPH; Project Director of SPNS Oral Health Initiative Evaluation Center for HIV and Oral Health (ECHO), Boston University School of Public Health.
Dental Case Management
The presentation details the pros, cons, and considerations of dental case management from administrative and clinical perspectives. The presenters also provide tips for being a good dental case manager and how this can result in improved health outcomes. Presenters come from two participating organizations:
- AIDS Care Group (ACG) in Chester, PA; Dr. Howell Strauss, and Mr. Nelson Diaz
- Native American Health Center (NAHC) in San Francisco, CA; Dr. Carolyn Brown and Ms. Lucy Wright, RDH
Clinical Aspects of Oral Health Care for PLWHA
This webinar explores the clinical aspects of oral health care for people with HIV/AIDS (PLWHA). The presenters describe common oral health diseases among HIV-infected people, as well as best practices for the prevention, detection, and treatment of these diseases. The presenters include:
- Dr. David Reznik of Grady Health System in Atlanta, GA and HIVdent
- Ms. Helene Bednarsh, MPH, of Boston Public Health Commission in Boston, MA and HIVdent