Summary prepared by the AETC Engagement in Care Workgroup
- Short-term/intermittent (Supportive Case Management model) or long-term (Medical or Comprehensive Case Management models) focuses primarily on assisting HIV+ person meet basic needs (housing, benefits, nutrition, substance use treatment, scheduling and making regular HIV primary care and specialty care appointments, and identifying barriers in doing so)
- Consistent relationship between one case manager and HIV+ person over time; one person coordinating care components (medical, psychiatric, and psychosocial needs)
- Different Case Management Acuity Scales have been created to assist in identifying the level of case management services needed for an individual
- May not be able to work outside of clinic/health center environment
- Maintaining ongoing connection over time (drops out of care, misses appointments, contact information no longer works)
- Designated staff with appropriate training and adequate resources
- Boston Medical Center, Center for Infectious Diseases
Contact: Jonathan Hall
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (617) 414-7769
- Kushel, M.B., Colfax, G., Ragland, K., Heineman, A., Palacio, H., Bangsberg, D.R. (2006). Case management is Associated with Improved Antiretroviral Adherence and CD4+ Cell Counts in Homeless and Marginally Housed Individuals with HIV Infection. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 43(2), 234-242.
- Willis, S., Castel, A.D., Ahmed, T., Olejemeh, C., Frison, L., Kharfen, M. (2013). Linkage, Engagement, and Viral Suppression Rates Among HIV-Infected Persons Receiving Care at Medical Case Management Programs in Washington, DC. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, 64,S33-41.
- Linkage, Engagement, and Viral Suppression Rates among HIV-Infected Persons Receiving Care at Medical Case Management Programs in Washington, DC. (2013), Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome.
- Oregon Client Acuity Scale Worksheet, Oregon DHS, HIV Care and Treatment Program
- Case Management HIV Acuity Scale Tools, Virginia Department of Health
- Medical Case Management Acuity Screening Tool (2012), Newark EMA HIV Health Services Planning Council
- HIV Case Management Needs Flowchart and Table, Adapted from CDC.
Log in to post comments