This resource illustrates some of the challenges with delivering HIV care in rural U.S. territories. It offers strategies and examples from AETC Program initiatives that address barriers to treating people with HIV in rural areas.
- Rural Health Association. What's Different about Rural Health Care? (2007-2015). Accessed May 1, 2015.
- Schur CL, Berk ML, Dunbar JR, Shapiro MF, Cohn SE, Bozzette SA. (Spring 2002). Where to seek care: an examination of people in rural areas with HIV/AIDS. The Journal of Rural Health, 18(2):337-47.
- Trepka, M. J., Fennie, K. P., Sheehan, D. M., Lutfi, K., Maddox, L., & Lieb, S. (2014). Late HIV Diagnosis: Differences by Rural/Urban Residence, Florida, 2007–2011. AIDS Patient Care and STDs, 28(4), 188–197. doi:10.1089/apc.2013.0362.
- Ohl, M. E., & Perencevich, E. (2011). Frequency of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) testing in urban vs. rural areas of the United States. Results from a nationally-representative sample. BMC Public Health, 11, 681. doi:10.1186/1471-2458-11-681.
- Cohn SE Berk ML. Berry SH. Duan N. Frankel MR. Klein JD. McKinney MM. Rastegar A. Smith S. Shapiro MF. Bozzette SA. (2001). The Care of HIV-infected Adults in Rural Areas of the United States. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, Dec 1;28(4):385-92.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Health Resources and Services Administration, HIV/AIDS Bureau. (March 2010). Pharmacists: Prescribing Better Care. HRSA CARE Action Newsletter.
Log in to post comments